Southern NYC Lunch Tour

Friday, November 17, 2006

Day 17
Cafe Seaport
150 William St.
Nov. 16, 2006

Idyllic mental image of small lovely cafe down by the piers shattered when I realized that William St. ran parallel to the water, but many blocks away. Probably a small cruddy greasehole selling small cruddy sandwiches, desperately vying for tourist attention. The Menupages menu didn't help dispell this impression.

Surprise again! Cafe Seaport is huge; seats maybe 60 people. The decor is dark wood to within 2 feet of the high ceiling, at which point bright 60's green takes over. The signage is abstract nautical, with wooden wave-teeth bordering the majority of the free-standing and hanging signs. Walking in, one is greeted by integrated service counters and a 3-register checkout station on the left, and directly on the right, beers sticking out of ice-laden beer carts, on wheels! Livin' large...

I had planned on a veggie burger deluxe but was immediately drawn to the hot food/salad bar. Very impressive; 40 hot choices, 40 cold. No oldness or filminess - everything looked perfect. How could I resist. They even had cooked shrimp sushi rolls, with wasabi, ginger and soy sauce. Yes. Curry chicken, mmmm. SESAME NOODLES! and so on. Surely this would cost me, I thought, carrying my precious and quite heavy plunder to the front deck. I was impressed at how mellow they were behind the registers; it wasn't unbearably crowded, even at 12:40. I didn't have to wait in line, and service was all smiles. I smiled too when what I thought was a 10.00 pile of hot food turned out to be only 7.42.

To my delight, there was no distinctive uber-taste running thru my selections! Generally, mega-delis have a one-seasoning-fits all approach to their many offerings. It may vary from deli to deli, but it is recognizable and consistent within each establishment. Not so in this case. In fact, the only common thread holding my lunch together was the fact that none of it was over-seasoned. Nothing too salty, too garlicy, too pickl-y - it was just right. I'm happy to give the Hot Food/Salad bar at Cafe Seaport a well-deserved, enthusiastic recommendation.

1 Comments:

  • Yummm! I got hungry just from reading this. Think they'll deliver to 57th & 6th? :D

    /lotsa hugs
    Girlie Girl #9

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home