Southern NYC Lunch Tour

Friday, November 03, 2006

Day 11
Budtharasa
109 Washington St.
Nov. 3, 2006

Behind a slightly odd cartoonish white awning spreads Budtharasa, the only Thai/Chinese lunch place I've ever been to. It really is an evenhanded hybrid of what one would expect from a straight-ahead genesplicing of a thai restaurant and a chinese take-out place. Inside, it's mostly seating; 15 2-person tables with green cushioned chairs, stuccoid dropcceiling, pale green everything. In the chinese takout tradition photos of the various dishes adorn the walls. The cash register sits atop the counter that covers the pre-made lunch dish vats chafing behind glass, waiting to be served. Nowhere is an actual menu with prices posted. One wall is almost all mirror in which is reflected a statue and a large colorful painting hanging on the opposite wall.

Since my last Thai experience (Day 8) was so mediocre, I decided this time to order a dish that was not bubbling away in a vat in plain sight. The woman running the cash register picked up a phone and I heard my order echo through the kitchen over the intercom: Pad Thai with Fried Tofu.

10 minutes and 6 dollars later I walked out with what turned out to be a decent Fried Tofu Pad Thai. Still not Lemongrass quality, but close enough for Day 11 of The Tour.

3 Comments:

  • i miss lemongrass grill....

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:49 AM  

  • I miss Lemongrass too!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:34 PM  

  • So do I! Everyone does.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home